Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Reading Reviews


I have not previously posted reviews on books I have read but I have decided after reading a couple very interesting and good books that I should share.
The first book is: Perelandra. By: C.S. Lewis. As you may know this is the second book in a trilogy known as the Space Trilogy. It is not light reading, but requires the full concentration of the reader. Or at least that was the case for me. A very gripping story of a struggle between good and evil in a new world where sin has not fully entered. Ransom the main character is sent to protect the the world and prevent what happened on earth. Full of descriptions of a different world and life in a sinless world put together with the story, make it a new favorite for yours truly.
Next on my list is: Do Hard Things. By: Alex and Brett Harris. Yes the title scared me a little to, but after having it recommended a couple different times I decided I better read it. It was an amazing boost of encouragement. It dispels the myth that teens are only supposed to go to school and stay out of trouble and thats it, but that they are the ones who should really be getting their act together. It gives examples of great things that happened when God inspired teens take action. And believe it or not this book actually inspired me to start a book club, where the first book we read was Do Hard Things.
The next book I want to review and the next one we will read for the book club is: Letter from a Christian Citizen. By: Douglas Wilson. This book was written in response to a book by an atheist who wrote a book called Letter to a Christian Nation. Letter from a Christian Citizen does not only offer great Christian apologetics but is actually fun to read. Douglas Wilson is quite amazing when it comes to this kind of stuff. Here is a link to a clip from a debate he had with an atheist by the name of Christopher Hitchens. Here is another shorter clip, but it is so good.
The last but not least is: Paradise Restored. By: David Chilton. This is a book on eschatology and the bible. David writes so well and it is hard to argue with him since so much of what he says comes right out of the bible. His book also made me open my eyes to the fact that the bible is not just a bunch of stories and poetry, but a well written intricately woven document. What else would we expect, it was inspired by God. I highly recommend this book for those who think the end of this world is near or who need some encouragement in their Christian walk.
I hope I have not bored you to much. As a side note I would like to notify people that I am going to be changing my blog address along with some other things. I will post the new address before I change it. Please if you have any suggestions for things you might like to see on my blog, please tell me.
Romans 1:18-20

Chip

5 comments:

Miss Jordan Elizabeth said...

So... what kind of book club?

More specifically, who?

Roise Art said...

It is a young mens book club. My dad was already doing a mens book club.

Miss Jordan Elizabeth said...

That's great. You've actually inspired me to get out my copy of Do Hard Things and read it again. It's such a good book, inspiring, challenging, conscience twinging...

So, I encourage you to fight the good fight! :)

Jordan said...

I'm in the middle of Do Hard Things. Read it. It's very challenging but you won't regret it!

Alesia said...

Awesome books on your list! I've never read that book by C.S.Lewis. I've only read his Narnia series, which I absolutely loved!
Do Hard Things, I've read that about 4 times now. Amazing book!

I should look up those other ones you mentioned!

God Bless
Alesia