
Flying south, looking east.

Practicing his siesta.


Sunny St. Louis.

Friend made this from the Sky Mall magazine.

Thought this mountain in AZ really looked like God's Thumb from the movie Holes.

The border. Crossing into Mexicali Mexico after dark was most interesting. Getting lost did not help either. Saw both sides of town.

Walking the streets of Mezquital.

The all important water tank.

Campsite.

Team Leader Kay A. explaining how to flush a Mexican toilet. It is not as easy as you may think.

The area where we had devotions every morning and evening. Heard so many incredible testimonies shared here. The Holy Spirit was really at work in this place.

Two front ones are our two team leaders. Both did an amazing job. Thanks to them for so much.

Team Members. Some of them.

Coke in a glass bottle. You can't beat it.

Part of the roofing crew.

The roof. We got the whole thing on by the end of the week.

Marbles.

Pastor David's son. A very cool guy. He was fun. He loved tapping people on their shoulder so they looked the wrong direction. He did it a little to much, people started to catch on.

Went to a border town on Sunday afternoon to do some souvenir shopping. It was odd to think that that piece of tin separated two different governments and cultures. Guess which one I like best?

Never seen so many dentist offices in one town in my life. This was just a couple of the many that were all over town. Another interesting experience in Algodnaz (the border town where we went shopping) was bartering with enthusiastic sellers. It was a fun skill to learn.

We are not in Kansas anymore. I was noticing the Baja California.

Played foozeball with these boys. They were really good, but me and my teammate won. It is so great how even though we did not understand most of what the other person was saying, this old foozball table allowed us to get to know each other.

I guess I owe an explanation for why this post took two months to get here. Well the thing is that towards the end of the trip I was pretty sick. And being so, made my already forgetful brain even more so. So when we got dropped off at the airport, I left my camera in the vehicle. Now it was really okay, because the team we had been traveling with from Minneapolis were not leaving till later, and they were dropping off the rental vehicles then. With a phone call telling them to watch for a camera, and another phone call saying they had got it, everything was good. It simply took two months to get it the rest of the way. That is the simple story. Oh, by the way, being sick in Mexico really was not fun. Glad it only hit the last day.

Pastor David and his family. He pastored at the church where we were helping. Another amazing man, who is so strong in the Lord. He has a lot of courage and faith. He is also the first man who I have seen help roof a church in black shoes and dress pants.

Putting a roof on. That metal gets hot. Ouch!!

These kids rocked at soccer.

Eric. Or when he told me, "EEEEEeerrric!" He was also the king of marbles. His pockets kind of bulged with marbles he had won.

The culvert that we cleaned out and basically rebuilt. Pity I do not have a before picture. Just imagine it half filled with mud and junk and the sand bags laying in more horizontal fashion. Nothing is easy in the Mexico sun.

The amazing Pastor David. He does everything from entertain the kids with magic, speaks spanish, and oversees the construction of the roof. Hence the hardhat.
All in all. An amazing trip. Christ is doing awesome things all over. It was so great to worship the same God with people who spoke a different language. It just is cool. It is kind of like Pentecost.
Please remember these people in your prayers, the country of Mexico is really going through some tough spots, and Christians often feel it the most. Pray that they will have the retain the courage and faith to witness and be lights in a dark place.
In Christ
Chip
4 comments:
Great post, I loved hearing about it!
BTW, when you said "because the team we had been traveling with from Minneapolis," do you mean that you are from Minneapolis, or that team is from Minneapolis? Just curious, because I live just a little north of there.
~DTH
I am not. I am from up by Fergus Falls. The other team was from Minneapolis.
Its great to see you and your team are doing great things through Christ! Hope the trip went...or is going well!
I will definitely keep Mexico in my prayers!
-Cassie
Love the pictures - thanks for the update, Chip! I really enjoyed reading/viewing it. :)
Post a Comment