Thursday, September 03, 2009

A Potato

                      This is the way my nephew cleans balls at the golf course.  Nothing half hearted.
                          Saturday morning, day 2 of Potato Days. 
                         For those of you are not familiar with this local custom, every year Barnesville
               has a festival focused around potatoes.  On Saturday morning there was a 5k/10k   
            run/walk, here I am coming across the finish line.  I still do not know my exact time,     
             it was under 26 minutes(for the 5k)
                      Here I am before the race, blink blink good morning.  
                         Here is the junior strong man contest, basically consists of lifting a
                     fifty pound sack of potatoes onto a progressively higher platform.
                  Here my cousin is trying for six feet.
                                Seven was simple for me, but man eight and a half feet is really high, that is
                     where I got bumped off.  Oh and how you lose is if you let the sack touch the ground.

                          My bro was one of the last three, he got up to about 9 1/2 feet.
                                       The winner got it all the way up to 10 1/2 feet.
                             This is the real strong man contest where they use a 100 pound potato
                      sacks.

                             Here is sowing and stacking, the guys are timed.  Five bags as fast as 
                      they can.   And while all this was happening there were potato eating, sculpting, and
                      peeling contests going on.
                                    To close out Friday they had a demo derby.

                               An orange haired kid in bib overalls, wow.
                              Waiting for mashed potato wrestling to start.  It was not really wrestling though.
                         Other events included a car show, a really long parade, lefse cook off , golden potato scavenger
                        hunt, some great food, potato picking contest, kiddie parade, potato sack fashion show, and a miss tator
                        tot pageant.  

                          I love living in the land of ten thousand lakes.  It is not quite like the 
                   ocean, but it is still beautiful.

2 comments:

Sarah Peña said...

Wow... interesting. ;)

Alesia said...

Wow! Now that's what I call fun! Looks just like the kinds of stuff I did growing up! I mean I coulnd't lift heavy bags of potatoes, but it all reminds me of good o' country fairs.
And the derby, WOW those are fun!

God Bless
Alesia